Korattt wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:02 pm
eightbo wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:32 pm
What's happening at Chepstow?
live feed down for me, so annoying
wow
Korattt

I'm not being funny but is there any software or program that detects where stop losses are, in the 18:40 I placed my stop miles away & it got spiked precisely on that price?
Dallas

Korattt wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:45 pm
I'm not being funny but is there any software or program that detects where stop losses are, in the 18:40 I placed my stop miles away & it got spiked precisely on that price?
Only they have hacked your PC and can see your activity,
When large orders hit the market they are often placed at a price point or at a 'round' price so any stops at these will get triggered more than those at random odds
eightbo

Could anyone tell me how particularly hot days like today affect horses, and if they affect racehorses evenly or some more than others?

edit:
@Korattt
experienced traders will often probe areas where stops are likely to be placed to force people our of their positions (your loss = someone else's profit)

it's not all bad news though, if you notice the price is often retracing after the spike, then you can mitigate this a bit by using mental stops.
after the spike, evaluate the activity in the following few seconds, then choose to hold or exit
Last edited by eightbo on Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spreadbetting

Korattt wrote:
It's called paranoia , you should cut out that wacky backy :)

I've no idea the figures you're betting with but I very much doubt someone is pushing the market up and down to your stops. The only reason you're noticing them is because they're going against you the ones that go in your favour you just ignore becase it doing what you expect it to do.
BetScalper

Korattt wrote:
I went on a Forex course once and the tutor said:

- Don't place your stop loss just below support or just above resistance.

Maybe the same is true for sports trading.
eightbo

BetScalper wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:29 pm

Hope it didn't cost much lad
SeaHorseRacing

eightbo wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:02 pm
Could anyone tell me how particularly hot days like today affect horses, and if they affect racehorses evenly or some more than others?

edit:
@Korattt
experienced traders will often probe areas where stops are likely to be placed to force people our of their positions (your loss = someone else's profit)

it's not all bad news though, if you notice the price is often retracing after the spike, then you can mitigate this a bit by using mental stops.
after the spike, evaluate the activity in the following few seconds, then choose to hold or exit
Generally filly’s run and perform better in the Sun. Sometimes poor form can be a result of temperature. The best UK filly’s usually outperform the colts at breeders cup, usually because there running in places like California and they prefer it.

A lot of presenter punters claim that sweating is bad sign... which if it’s unusual for the horse yes... but sweating is just a sign of cooling down. I’d be much more concerned of horse running 2 miles and sweating than a 5f horse.
5f horses are generally fired up skirts types which can be a reason to sweat. Whereas a stayer on a cold day would be a real negative.

Some trainers perform better through different times of the year and this may well fall down to climate.

Personally, the reason why Mark Johnston horses run so well at Goodwood festival is imo is not because of the going types of his horses... but merely to the point that his horses run every 5/7 days consistently and the same reason why he struggles to train classic winners.

If you look at Horses won in July/August it’s usually the fittest types. Whereas end of season... it’s the unexposed types. Again people claim it’s the soft going at the end of the season... id say it’s horses that are over the top needing a break that aren’t winning.
Last edited by SeaHorseRacing on Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ruthlessimon

eightbo wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:56 pm
:lol:

I really hope the follow up wasn't - "Take my psychology course if you;re struggling"

Immediately when someone says they have big stops (especially futures), that tells me they certainly aren't leveraged - therefore what they're teaching aint very good!! A 50pip stop on a 1 lot is like a £5000 trade
ShaunWhite

There's nothing wrong with big stops in a volatile market so long as your upside is appropriate too.

Positioning near key levels is an important factor as has been said. Everyday you see less than subtle hedging by bookies backing down to round numbers, and it's even more obvious and less subtle when volumes are so low. Not having enough supply to satisfy their demand interferes with their usual drip drip drip. It's so obvious and frequent you can exploit it.

This type of activity is context that isn't in the data, and can wreck a carefully planned strategy unless you've seen enough markets to recognise what's going on and to react.
BetScalper

eightbo wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:56 pm
BetScalper wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:29 pm

It was £3k.
brimson25

So the first at Beverley. Surely very rare to see such a short price - 1.12 for Victory Command

How many legs do the other horses in this race have between them?
brimson25

Not enough is the answer...
SeaHorseRacing

brimson25 wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:02 pm
Not enough is the answer...
Long term that exact scenario is a profitable lay. Clearly best horse and clearly always going to win... however 1/7 of those will fail to fire... as Mark Johnston over runs his two year olds.
brimson25

Cheers. I had no trading angle, just stuck a £5 on so betfair would let me watch it!

Sometimes like to see a really one-sided race!

Return to “Trading Horse racing”