Anyone read any good books?

Relax and chat about anything not covered elsewhere.
herbie

by PeterLe » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:41 pm

I bought Flashboys a couple of days ago
Im on page 161 as we speak. Its a great read.

I feel it tells of many similarities that we experience every day on the betting exchanges,especially the subject of latency. Its great food for thought.
Michal

Outside of probability and trading literature but essential.
Memoir of a psychiatrist who survived Auschwitz and witnessed few other concentration camps. Very sobering and humbling reading, makes you appreciate things which we tend to take for granted.
http://www.amazon.com/Mans-Search-Meani ... 738&sr=1-1
Lyle

Currently reading Lee Child's 'Never Go Back.' Had thought he had lost his touch in recent years but enjoying this one very much. Still only at the beginning though.
Euler

Currently reading: -

How Not To Be Wrong: The Hidden Maths of Everyday Life

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00K ... UTF8&psc=1
angelinarankin

The Good Life by Hugh Mackay.In this he addresses about "What makes a life worth living?".
Jesy_par

If you want to save some money or you live in a country where it is very hard to find books in English (as I do) then the website investopedia.com has some great articles that can be printed out.
JayBee

PeterLe wrote:I bought Flashboys a couple of days ago with the intention of reading it on holiday next week.
I thought I would read the first chapter last night and read nearly 20% of the book.
The first 10% or so was a bit boring, but it has got more interesting.
This is a small extract of the text :-

"The market on his screen was no longer the market. His friend would hit a button to buy or sell a stock and the market would move away from him.."

Sounds familiar? ;)
Being a dark pool you are given the software to trade on the pool by the pool operator.

The software was coded to signal which stock, price and volume was chosen by the operator. The operator then had to then press the execute button. Of course, before they could press the execute button the HFT firm on the dark pool could buy all the stock at that price and nudge the price up to a higher level thus gaining a profit for the HFT firm. In other words, the software was set up to allow HFT firms to act as middle men between buyers and sellers.

It is conceivable that malicious trading software for trading on Betfair could do a similar thing, signalling intention before execution. You hover the mouse over a price and then that and your chosen volume size are signalled to somewhere else.

Of course, I have NO knowledge of this being done in sports betting or on any software that I know of, including Bet Angel. Although I can be hired for retrofitting. ;)
Iron

I borrowed Kahneman's book from the library yesterday.

Fascinating book, and plenty of great insights about trading.

Jeff
Kalumpus wrote:Any of the above mentioned great choices - I'd add 'Fooled by Randomness' The Hidden Role of Chance in Life and in the Markets by Nassim Taleb. Also,'Thinking Fast and Slow' by Daniel Kahneman.
PeterLe

hi
just looking for a good book for a long trip next week...
Just seen this:-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sports-Trading- ... ir+trading

Anyone read it? isn't Wayne on the betangel forum?
Euler

Not sure if he is TBH, but not sure it's worth reading as I think you are well above that level.

Try either of these two which I have found interesting and useful. Both are based around psychology: -

Little book of behavioural investing

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Little-Book ... 0470686022

The Chimp Paradox

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Chimp-Paradox-M ... 009193558X
PeterLe

Thanks Peter
I have the Chimp paradox on my Kindle already (I started on the last day of a previous holiday and didn't get round to finishing, I'll have another look)

I like to dip in and out of them from time to time. I have a paperback book here that I found today, Fortunes Formula.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fortunes-Formul ... es+formula

Ive read it already sometime ago, and that's worth a read if you haven't already
Regards
Peter

PS I can tell which book you just read after reading the latest Poll on you blog! ;) (That's a good book too!)
Last edited by PeterLe on Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Euler

Y I read that, there are some good books out there depending on what depth you want to reach in different subjects. Found the chimp paradox a bit lengthy TBH and meandering. But there were some useful elements in there that I think will help me get to grips with a few things and maybe help me get better at helping others.

I have the audible version of chimp and was listening to it while driving around California.

Are you looking in any particular areas?
PeterLe

I'm trying to stay away from the 'Mind books' for a while as there is a lot of conflicting and contradictory information out there...and often having read them, they just seem a lot like common sense?
Having spent 30 years in the corporate world Ive done most of them anyway! :D
Ive have a nosey around Amazon and see what takes my fancy!

Speaking of books...you may have just missed my PS on my last post:-

PS I can tell which book you just read after reading the latest Poll on you blog! ;) (That's a good book too if its the one Im thinking of (About Linda?)!) ;)
Euler

Actually I'm not sure it was the same book?

Maybe we should start a library for other Bet Angel users? :lol:
steven1976

Nothing to do with trading but I'm actually enjoying reading Ramsey book, humble pie at the moment. I'm only about 25% through it but is quite interesting reading about his up bringing. Might get a bit boring when he starts talking about baking cakes but so far so good.

Return to “Chill Out Area”