What's Your Stress Relief for a Nasty Bad Trade

A place to discuss anything.
marko236

Simple, you have plenty of money :D
Zenyatta

James1st wrote:
The closest analogy to trading that I have encountered is in comparing it to learning to drive a car.
Or flying an A380 jet manually ;) Your 'bank' is your altitude....

I started with a 34K bank last year when I tried to go pro, was trying to fly the jet like a maniac, didn't have a clue...flew that jet all the way into the ground.... :(
James1st

A very interesting story Rogerlisa.

I have to assume that after driving 37 vehicles down many roads in different driving conditions that, in 12 years, you didn't actually "crash and burn"...and if that is the case then perhaps you should just apply all your driving experience and learning to the markets. If you can learn to drive and stay alive then you can learn to trade without crashing.
redtra

rogerlisa wrote: car of a focus, vans, Mercedez and dare I say upto a Maserati Gran Tourismo - my question to you lot is how come I cant trade :!: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Starting with a Ford Focus and ending with a Maserati, you can trade alright...cars!
Euler

If you are using a driving analogy then maybe I can help by showing you what I often see in newbie traders.

When you drive a car often you will get a feel for how it handles, it's the same in the markets. You get a feel for markets, how they behave and when it's safe to put your foot down or not.

So you are in your car, the markets, but now you need to safely navigate the roads. When driving you don't look at the next few feet in front of you, you look as far ahead as possible, You do this to see hazards, corners, a nice big stretch of open road. With that in mind you drive according to what will happen as you approach that corner or as you accelerate into a straight.

If you drive by looking out the side window, you will probably crash. If you drive by looking a few feet in front then if you drive too fast you will crash, but slower and you will weave hopelessly around the road with no vision of where you are going and the road immediately in front of you will just force you to react to the bends. You will almost certainly never see the clear straight. You may feel you are in a clear straight because you have been for a while, but just as you put your foot down you find a corner and crash.

Driving isn't too dissimilar to trading, you are attempting to anticipate ahead of time and adjust your driving accordingly. You are looking for clues ahead of when something will happen and you position yourself ahead of that.
stevequal

The car analogy is a good one for sure.

One area which I think is very different though is the highway code. These contain set rules which just don't exist in markets. You can't read them, you have to figure them out for yourself and they are constantly changing.

When I learnt to drive I kept within the boundary of the rules (give or take some learner mistakes). But some of my actions when learning to trade have been the equivalent of road rage/joyriding. What's interesting is that I wouldn't dare do either on the road, but in the trading world I've committed them many a time. The difference between the two? I am not sure myself.

I can't remember where I read it, but I remember someone saying that markets are appealing because they have no rules. They don't restrict people, they offer huge freedom and potential, but are also a danger. I think driving is much easier than trading because your given the rules from the start and they keep you safe.
PeterLe

Yep and it's why people who get in the left hand lane at a roundabout and then turn right often crash! :) the best of it is, they dont think they've done anything wrong! Im sure this happens in trading too :D
redtra

PeterLe wrote:Yep and it's why people who get in the left hand lane at a roundabout and then turn right often crash! :) the best of it is, they dont think they've done anything wrong! Im sure this happens in trading too :D
it does, and it's worse when you come across a patch of black ice halfway round and you have to hope for the best :)
gazuty

Agggh.

My stress relief is this post. I manually interfered at the time my bot fired, which meant it took all day to almost get square today. :oops:

I'm always better off leaving my bots alone, spending time with the kids and checking in at the end of the day.
LinusP

gazuty wrote:Agggh.

My stress relief is this post. I manually interfered at the time my bot fired, which meant it took all day to almost get square today. :oops:

I'm always better off leaving my bots alone, spending time with the kids and checking in at the end of the day.
I think we have all been there! I wish I could block myself from getting involved completely :D
Kalumpus

I go straight to my P&l, remind myself that there's a bigger & profitable picture :)
CaerMyrddin

I do that as well. Have a look to my performance over the last 3 months helps put things into perspective. ;)
aperson

yep same here.

Return to “General discussion”