new way to trade

A place to discuss anything.
marko236

Hi all,

Getting very bored with just trading, i'm making a small amount of money trading soccer but it doesn't seem worth the bother i would have to trade 3k to make a good profit.

I'm looking to trade but leave it as a bet " not green out or red out "

Does anyone trade before in play and bet in play aswell to leave a bet thats in there favour??

Just wondering if anyone does that and how they get on doing it.
Tobedotty

People do do this but I haven't seen anyone post much about it on this forum. You need to have a solid understanding of risk, staking, kelly criterion, bank roll management and you should also be able to quantify your edge on every bet placed so you know where you stand. Overall you'll need a much larger bank than you do for pre-match trading.
LeTiss

What staking plan do you have (% of bank), and what do you do when the bet doesn't appear to be going as planned?
kelpie

Fire and Forget can be good if you've really REALLY got to have an edge. Not many do!

I only use Fire and Forget for futures because at the end of those your deposit is more or less intact (the way I structure them). I wouldn't leave trades open on betfair.

But if you're not going to trade positions why use betfair? You'd be better at Pinnacle where your account won't get closed or taxed for winning.
Consty1

Actually I'm sceptical as to how some traders are able to profit long term by cutting out of their positions in play when they hit. I've always thought that if you've put the stats work in then by trading out you're cutting your profits short. I see a lot of "pro" traders on Twitter essentially bet on a position and trade out when it comes in and I just can't see how that's profitable over a large sample. I'm of the same opinion in regards to taking insurance on a position as well, I just can't see how that's not cutting into a winning strategy.

I bet a lot in play and the variance is huge as I take a position and just run with it. I'm very very particular about my entry point though but I've been able to profit over a 2000 bet sample albeit using relatively small stakes.

It honestly baffles me how traders like LeTiss are able to make such huge numbers trading football!
LeTiss

Consty1 wrote: It honestly baffles me how traders like LeTiss are able to make such huge numbers trading football!
I work very hard for my money, I do ludicrous hours and as an hourly rate....it's not a fantastic paid job. However, I'm not purely football, I'm all sports. The downside is I vary rarely trade horses, so I don't just hammer out 4 hours of afternoon trading - I work all day looking for opportunities. Those opportunities are becoming harder to find, due to BF changing so alarmingly, and also PC (this year I will be hitting the PC3, so god knows what the future holds for me!)

I've always maintained that traders like Peter Webb are like rocking horse shit. I suspect some of BF's biggest hitters are backers/layers with sophisticated staking plans
rubysglory

kelpie wrote:Fire and Forget can be good if you've really REALLY got to have an edge. Not many do!
I am familiar with the term Fire and Forget from a military perspective but not from a trading position. Can someone satisfy my ignorance ?

rg
mugsgame

marko236 wrote:Hi all,

Getting very bored with just trading, i'm making a small amount of money trading soccer but it doesn't seem worth the bother i would have to trade 3k to make a good profit.

I'm looking to trade but leave it as a bet " not green out or red out "

Does anyone trade before in play and bet in play aswell to leave a bet thats in there favour??

Just wondering if anyone does that and how they get on doing it.
You would have to trade 3k to make a good profit? So trade 3k then.
You are bored because you don't know what you are doing :)
marko236

LeTiss 4pm wrote:What staking plan do you have (% of bank), and what do you do when the bet doesn't appear to be going as planned?
I plan to use upto 5% of my bank per bet.

For example if i think a team has a 50% chance of winning i'l need to trade before game and then put another bet inplay and try and make 60% giving a 10% profit. example the team i think has 50% chance of winning is the home team, i'l need the book to finnish like this for a £50 risk.

1. £60 win
x. -£50
2. -£50

It all relise on me getting my stratagy right being good at trading and getting my inplay bet matched most of the time.
marko236

mugsgame wrote:
You would have to trade 3k to make a good profit? So trade 3k then.
You are bored because you don't know what you are doing :)
I'm only trading small ampunts of money and making about 3% if i increase that to 3k it gets harder to get matched and i fear that could end up with me lossing money.

I'm just thinking outside the box.
CaerMyrddin

This is from yesterday's match. The image was too big to get the link through the forum, but here we go:

http://imageshack.com/a/img20/6627/nqg4.png

Crap trading, loads of scratch trades as was right but too soon. Just to show you that you can turn over a lot and get a nice income with low risk.
Iron

marko236 wrote: I plan to use upto 5% of my bank per bet.
Are you talking about stake or liability there (i.e. what you will lose if you have to bail out for a loss)?

If you're talking liability, I'd say that's way too high (unless you're one of these people who's worked out how to get an 80% strike rate combined with very small drawdowns - and even then, I'd still say it's a bit on the cavalier side).

If you risk 1% of your bank per trade, it will grow very quickly to the point where you're getting as much liquidity through the market as it will take. There's no need to get greedy and overshoot. BTW, I hope I didn't make it sound easy to achieve the above - if it were, everyone would be doing it. :)

Jeff

Return to “General discussion”