Meditation

A place to discuss anything.
steven1976

Just wondering if anyone on here uses or has ever thought about using meditation to assist their trading?

http://lessons.tradingacademy.com/artic ... r-trading/

A friend of a friend, who I was speaking to in the pub the other night is over on a holiday teaches meditation to a few unknowns on the European tour and said that the past year their results have imrpoved due to better concentration.

I know ill be giving it a try for general concentration and just thought I'd see if anyone on here has ever considered using it to try and create a better balance with their emotions and anxiety for trading or if they just think its a load of rubbish?
JollyGreen

Well I'm definitely in the positive camp. I'm sure I mentioned this in previous posts of mine. I'm also a fan of Qigong which is another type of meditation.
steven1976

Hi Jolly,
I thought I may have read it previous so sorry if it is a repeat. I'm surrounded by people that practice meditation, even my 5 year old son practices it as I chose for him to follow the path of Buddha teachings as his mum is buddhist and yet i have never really looked into it.

My conversation with my friends mate the other night was enjoyable and answered a lot of questions that I'm usually to lazy to research and the simplicity of it is so easy, although not so easy in practice I found today. I think I managed about 1 min before my mind starts wandering away from just concentrating on breathing only.

Still I'm going to crack 10 mins of simple breathing mediatation within 2 weeks as my concentration levels are easily distracted and not just for trading but with everything I do.
stevequal

Echkart Tolle often talks about the story of a Zen master who gave a long meditation session in his own home to a group of people from his village. Ten minutes before the end of the session his daughter comes into the room and says "father your tea is ready". The Zen master replied, "you silly girl can't you see I am trying to meditate".

I think it is better to start by taking the principles of Buddha teachings into life and trading than focus on the practicalities of meditation.

So for example if a trade goes against me or indeed something in life goes against me, I try to remember to not take it personally and remind myself that nobody is to blame, so there is no anger there. For me this is meditation because its taking my mind away from thought.

However, its easier much easier said than done, but it's part of the learning journey.
CaerMyrddin

Hi Steven, I do both meditation and yoga. To be completely honest, I always thought of these things as new wave banjo manjo. But my wife started yoga some time ago and I had an extreme lumbago and was told to do yoga by the doctor so joined in. It's pretty cool, you exercise a lot, improve your balance and meditate. Eventually my interest in meditation grew and joined a course. Now, answering your question, my concentration improved, both in terms of 'peak' and resistance, what is a big plus not only in terms of trading, but in every aspect of your life.

Never bought a Echkart Tolle's book, but there are some pretty good lectures over the internet. I strongly recommend.
JollyGreen

steven1976 wrote:Hi Jolly,
even my 5 year old son practices it as I chose for him to follow the path of Buddha teachings as his mum is buddhist and yet i have never really looked into it.
I am not a religious person as such but I do like Buddhist's beliefs and try to follow them. The one thing I like is the way they concentrate on 'now' which IMHO is so important in trading. If all you worry about is 'now' then you won't be confused or distracted by 'what if' or fear of failure based on previous events, neither of which you have any control over!

Qigong is also helpful because it is not religion based so it simply adds to your well-being.
stevequal

The one thing I like is the way they concentrate on 'now' which IMHO is so important in trading.
If this was Facebook it would get a "like" from me.

Return to “General discussion”