I don’t think I like the flat season?

A place to discuss anything.
rhysmr2

The last few weeks I’ve been really struggling to pull the profits in, the markets are acting very different to how I’m used to them acting. I understand the higher grade races are going to cause the markets to change a little but I wasn’t expecting this.

I was just wondering why lots of pro traders always say how they can’t wait for the flat season? I was making more in the jumps. Maybe I’m just taking a while to adjust??

Anyone know what I’m talking about or am I on my own with this one?

I’ve been trading a couple of years now and looking at records from last year around the same time I have wrote a note saying “Rock hard markets” so it looks like I struggled for a few weeks this time last year too.

Rhys,
TheRiddler

Read the topic 'on the verge of giving up' on this forum. The answer you seek lies there.
rhysmr2

TheRiddler wrote:Read the topic 'on the verge of giving up' on this forum. The answer you seek lies there.
I read that topic, I guess your saying I should have a better understanding of the market to be able to enjoy the change in markets?

I read the markets fairly well or so I thought and that's why I make money from this, I just feel like there is something I'm missing, something that's preventing me taking advantage of the flat season?

I'm doing a lot of the night meetings so I'm working about twice as long as normal for less profits because I'm taking on loads of losses.

Strange, I guess I'll just ride it out.
TheRiddler

rhysmr2 wrote:
TheRiddler wrote:Read the topic 'on the verge of giving up' on this forum. The answer you seek lies there.
I read that topic, I guess your saying I should have a better understanding of the market to be able to enjoy the change in markets?

I read the markets fairly well or so I thought and that's why I make money from this, I just feel like there is something I'm missing, something that's preventing me taking advantage of the flat season?

I'm doing a lot of the night meetings so I'm working about twice as long as normal for less profits because I'm taking on loads of losses.

Strange, I guess I'll just ride it out.
If you wish to ride it out then what exactly are you riding? Making money out of a market is not the same as fulfilling your potential. I know you do not understand these markets because you would not be asking this question. I'm not being mean, just trying to point you in the right direction without actually serving everything up. Invest in yourself now and reap the rewards later.
It's upto you of course how you go about trading horses and I wish you the best of luck.
rhysmr2

I appreciate your response Riddler, to answer your question I'm on about riding out my bad run, I would love to be able to fulfill my potential, I'm always wanting to progress, I just don't know any other way to learn more about these markets then the way I have which is practice for years.

To let you know where I am at the moment, so far this year I've averaged £405 per week so I know the markets enough to earn an average wage, I know I’m no where near the big boys and I have loads of room for progression but I am slowly progressing.

I am thinking of doing some mentoring to see if I can get anything new from that but I'm doubtful. I have a feeling it’s more for beginners although I could be wrong?

How would you suggest I "invest" in myself? I don't know what else to do, I read the blogs, the forums, I have read Peters course information and other books, I study the markets and I record all my results.

What am I missing?

Rhys,
TheRiddler

rhysmr2 wrote:I appreciate your response Riddler, to answer your question I'm on about riding out my bad run, I would love to be able to fulfill my potential, I'm always wanting to progress, I just don't know any other way to learn more about these markets then the way I have which is practice for years.

To let you know where I am at the moment, so far this year I've averaged £405 per week so I know the markets enough to earn an average wage, I know I’m no where near the big boys and I have loads of room for progression but I am slowly progressing.

I am thinking of doing some mentoring to see if I can get anything new from that but I'm doubtful. I have a feeling it’s more for beginners although I could be wrong?

How would you suggest I "invest" in myself? I don't know what else to do, I read the blogs, the forums, I have read Peters course information and other books, I study the markets and I record all my results.

What am I missing?

Rhys,

points I mentioned in the topic on the verge of giving up applies to you too to a greater or lesser degree. The amount you make is irrelevant.
You are treating a flat race as a set of numbers in the same way you treat a national hunt race. Those numbers in front of you when trading represent different ideas. The trainers are different and they have different ideas going on in there heads than other trainers. The owners are different with different goals,etc. The horses development is.....
you catch my drift? If you trade a market solely as a numbers game you will never play with the big boys.
I'm glad you are improving bit by bit but don't sit there and ride a wave taking you to a place you need not be. A heathcote as a example knows little about horse racing so how can he trade the market to its full potential as some on here believe. All he trades is the numbers which is fair enough- whatever works for him. But I tell you now, he does not trade markets as effectively as someone who see's more than numbers. I hope this helps because I am talking laymans terms.
Either way keep up the good work, try to trade other exchanges if poss even for tiny amounts, invest in yourself (you should know what I mean by now).
If you wish to pay for mentoring that is your personal choice and depends what your goals are. I'm sure this will be a viable option for some. But playing with the big boys takes self mentoring.
rhysmr2

I see where you’re coming from Riddler, cheers for you input, much appreciated.
jamesthetrader

TheRiddler wrote: A heathcote as a example knows little about horse racing so how can he trade the market to its full potential as some on here believe. All he trades is the numbers which is fair enough- whatever works for him. But I tell you now, he does not trade markets as effectively as someone who see's more than numbers.
Completely disagree here, There is no way you need to know anything about horse racing to make the serious money adam heathcote or peter webb does from the prerace markets!!

Return to “General discussion”