A little maths help please

We were all new to Bet Angel once. Ask any question you like here and fellow forum members promise not to laugh. Betfair trading made simple.
Tiger

Can someone help me to understand how to get the answer to this maths question so I can create a formula to repeat.

Team A has over 1.5 goals per game 88% of the time
Team B has over 1.5 goals per game 76% of the time.

What is the chance of over 1.5 goals occurring when they play each other.

And what odds to I need for a single straight over 1.5 goals value bet.

I'm sure it will be an elementary question for many of the math minded brains in the community.
Euler

In simple terms you would multiply them together if they are independent events, which you could argue they are not.

But if something has an 88% chance of occurring and another 76% and they are independent they that would equal 66.88%

You have the % but not the std dev. If you have the standard deviation as well, it's a simple solution to answer many questions. Besides you shouldn't be looking at the %, you should be looking at how many goals each team score on average.
Tiger

Euler wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:09 pm
In simple terms you would multiply them together if they are independent events, which you could argue they are not.

But if something has an 88% chance of occurring and another 76% and they are independent they that would equal 66.88%

You have the % but not the std dev. If you have the standard deviation as well, it's a simple solution to answer many questions. Besides you shouldn't be looking at the %, you should be looking at how many goals each team score on average.

Ah ok. I was wondering if I could find a probability to turn into implied odds to use as a base to decide where the value was for a straight bet.
sionascaig

You might be better following some of the methodology described below rather than rely on an averages from the past, e.g. if you model "up" from some basic fundamental units / assumptions should get a better understanding of what are likely to be key factors impacting price v's modelling "down" with unknown unknowns, e.g. variance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRjrMbk ... ackAndrews

I'm sure Peter also had a video on modelling football goals in the Bet Angel youtube channel which may help. It covered "goal expectations" & "superiority" etc.. (if I remember right)

Return to “Bet Angel for newbies / Getting started”